It’s not every student who can say they got to make history as a member of the first graduating class of a school, but that is exactly what M.E.T.S. (Math Engineering Technology Science) Charter School seniors can say today when they officially become alumni at graduation.
When M.E.T.S. first-opened its doors in August of 2011, it served 320 students in grades 6 through 9. Today the schools serves over 520 students in grades 6 through 12. Being a charter school, all students are accepted by lottery and there is no pre-testing or review of academic transcripts (unlike magnet schools such as McNair, Infinity Institute, Hudson County Schools of Technology, etc).
Among the many achievements of their students, M.E.T.S. Seniors boast a long list of academic accomplishments including:
- No. 1 Ranking of non-selective Jersey City High Schools for SAT composite scores
- 96% of M.E.T.S. 12thGrade students passed the NJ High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) in English on the first attempt – 13% higher than local, non-selective Jersey City high schools of residence
- 76% of their Seniors passed the NJ High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) in Mathematics on the first attempt – 18% higher than local, non-selective Jersey City high schools of residence
- +80% of Seniors have been accepted to accredited 4 year college or university
- +70% of M.E.T.S. Seniors earned college credit through the Early College / Dual Enrollment partnership with Hudson County Community College with more than 50% of Seniors graduating with more than 3 college credits
To all that we say, Congratulations, M.E.T.S. Class of 2015! We wish you all continued success!